TEDFOX AND COBALT PALADIN SUGGESTED that we try using map.gov.sg instead of StreetDirectory.com. So, I decided to try looking for “Rochester Park” on map.gov.sg AND StreetDirectory.com and found that:
- I cannot simply enter “Rochester Park”. I must enter a block number. So, I plucked a number from the air: “9″.
- After x seconds of inactivity, map.gov.sg would show a timeout message and then a timeout screen (!) as follows:
- As TedFox noted, “[map.gov.sg does] not provide any bus/mrt directions (which can be taken from the sbs website though)”. It also does not provide other useful information such as “Satellite Image”, “What’s nearby”, “Analyse Loc”, “Related Editorials” at the top of the StreetDirectory.com page:
- Nor does it provide this useful titbit of information at the bottom of the page:
“Streetdirectory.com Rochester Park is located in Dover, Singapore. The Dover district is a small one filled with schools and tertiary institutions. Private schools such as Anglo Chinese School (Independent), or ACSI, and Anglo Chinese Junior College are located here, as well as public schools such as Fairfield Methodist Secondary School. Many locals study in ITE Dover to obtain technical certificates or go for a diploma education at Singapore Polytechnic. Many expatriates sent their children to United World College Southeast Asia (UWCSEA), one of Singapore’s international schools. These expatriates also enjoy going for a drink at Rochester Park, a popular cluster of restaurants and wine bars in Dover.”
- Finally, the location map itself look like this on Map.gov.sg:
and the location map on StreetDirectory.com looks like this:
Disclaimer: I have no vested interest in either Map.gov.sg or StreetDirectory.com. Neither am I aware of having any friend (or foe) in these two organizations.
- Is this the end of StreetDirectory.com?
- Did you know? (教育的未來)
- Asia Social Media projects – 2 months later
- 10 Things You Don’t Know About Me
- Top Blogs in China, Malaysia & Philippines
- NLB SMS Reference Service
- Wilderness in Information Age