THIS MORNING, I’M LAUNCHING the Asia Social Media Directory — a strictly non-partisan and non-competitive wiki-based (and so community-managed) directory. This directory has been modeled after Rambling Librarian’s Singapore Social Media Directory AND enhanced with a Frappr map, a Recent Readers log and more concise writeups. (More interesting widgets coming up soon.)
Asia Social Media Directory is “non-competitive” in the sense that all Singaporean bloggers and social media activists are still encouraged to add relevant info on their sites on the Singapore Social Media Directory. However all, including those from Singapore, are welcome to join the Asia Social Media Directory Frappr map:
WHY AM I DOING THIS? Basically, I want to reach out to a much wider audience, especially people in Asia. Currently, about 50% of my visitors are coming from Singapore. Too few are from the rest of Asia.
However, there is no Asian directory available on the Internet right now (at least not one that I could find on the Internet via a Google search) that is:
- “Unconditional”: All bloggers and social media activists in Asia are most welcome to join and list their blogs and/or social media sites there without having to add a reciprocal badge/link to the directory from their sites.
- Community-managed: Anyone can add themselves in without being screened first. (Of course, if abuse occurs then abusers will be barred.)
In addition, I also plan to read more Asian blogs and start providing insights and roundups on how free/open-source/social technologies are being used in Asian business and education. Reasons include:
- More and more, Singapore is being used by westerners (Europeans, Americans, Canadians, etc.) as a springboard to Asia, and by easterners (Asians) as a stepping stone to the English-speaking countries.
- Over 50% Internet users will be Asians soon
So, would Asia Social Media Directory and my finetuned focus be of interest/value to you, my readers?
- Asia Social Media projects – 2 months later
- Top Blogs in China, Malaysia & Philippines
- Ethical Social Media Marketing
- Over 50% Internet users to be Asians soon?
- Top Posts in Ping.sg & Tomorrow.sg Reveal That…
- Japanese Loves to Read Blogs?
- What Did ClappingTrees Say at Nexus 2007?